Weingut Zöhrer anno 1270
The roots of the winery date back to the Babenberger in the Austrian history. Around 1300 Albrecht I (1255-1308) enfeoffed twenty of his most loyal followers with farm- and wetlands, fruit- and vineyards in and around “Weinzierl” (nowadays a district of Krems).
The Kuenrings had been their advocates. In 1340 Albrecht II (?-1358) had confirmed these rights. Then the vineyards had already been cultivated and wine had been pressed by the “Twenty enfeoffs” – who were simple landlords.
In 1705 the landlords formed a free community with its own claim to power and jurisdiction. Until this date they had been subjects of the “Grafenegg” manor from which they were able to ransom.
In 1923, thus 600 years later, the manors had been split between the respective landlords. Today only three of the “Twenty enfeoffs” have stayed over – like the Weingut Zöhrer.
During the 1970s the Zöhrer family adopted the resolution to convert the old cellar at “Kremser Sandgrube” to a newly established farmstead outside the village in order to pamper their guests with traditional dishes and the outstanding landscape.
Since 1983 the meanwhile renowned venue has been private residence, wine tavern and winery of the Zöhrer family. And since 1999 guests have felt like at home in our guestrooms.
A short historical review
The landlords and “Krems/Weinzierl”
Vice world champion with Grüner Veltliner SAND 1 at AWC Vienna
business takeover of Toni Zöhrer XXXVI
Also in 2017:
Birth of Anton Zöhrer XXXVII
Weingut Zöhrer 3 times at “Salon Österreichischer Wein” with two different sorts
Also in 2012:
Start of the partnership with the ``SAND 1 Collection`` by the TOP Gastronomy
Toni Zöhrer was elected as ``the newcomer of the year``
First export to Asia
First export to North America
Master examination of Toni Zöhrer XXXVI
Repeated victories at the ``Kremser Sandgruben Champion dégustations``
Between 2000 and today:
Opening of the Zoehrer guest house - directly located at the winery
Acceptance to the ``Salon Österreichischer Weine``
First export of wine to foreign countries
Repeated Gold and ``Big Gold`` medals at Austrian wine exhibitions
Between 1985 & 1995:
Opening of the new location of Weingut Zoehrer in the Kremser Sandgrube 1
Birth of Toni Zöhrer XXXVI
Master examination of Anton Zöhrer XXXV
Birth of Anton Zöhrer XXXV
Dissolution of joint ownership and division among the individual members except for a residual ownership
Between 1923 - 1929:
Voluntary merging of Krems to Weinzierl - In 1909 Weinzierl has 85 street numbers
Inauguration of the new cemetery
Purchase of the “Antonikirche” and the “Siechenspital” by `` Bürgerspital-Krems”
Redemption from the Grafenegg manor by the “landlord community” – for a price of 12.000 guilder the village of Weinzierl had been acquired with all its belongings including its own administration and jurisdiction.
The sovereign vineyards were released from the connection with the fiefdoms
Between 1522 and 1566:
Duke Albrecht II. confirms the rights of the ``Twenty landlords``
Albert von Kuenring- Advocate of the landlords - is at litigation with a ``genteel lady`` - this is confirmed in a document of the Munich public record office.
First-time mention of ``Weinzierl`` in the charts of cloister St. Georgen an der Traisen